One of the strengths of the Apple Watch is that it offers a fully customizable dial system. Colors, wallpapers, type of information, hands, you can adapt your watch to your desires and needs. And the icing on the cake, the latest version of watchOS allows you to share your watch faces with your friends or family.
Create your own watch face
The Apple Watch offers 34 different watch faces by default, not counting the Hermès and Nike variants. Of course, it is possible to customize them by changing the colors and styles. There are also applications on the App Store offering thousands of dials with original designs.
- Open the watch face of your Apple Watch
- Slide your finger from one edge of the screen to the other to scroll through the complete collection of screens
- Among the screens offered are analog activity (activity rings), artist (wallpaper that changes automatically), digital activity (the time associated with your sports progress), astronomy (3D earth), California, chronograph, color, chronometry, exploration, gradient
- Once you have chosen your dial, put and hold your finger on the screen of your watch
- Press the modify button
- Sweep your finger to the left
- Then select the model, the style, the colors, the patterns
- Some dials offer complications. These are areas in which you can choose to display specific information (date, current music, calendar etc..)
- Select one of the proposed complications
- Turn the Digital Crown to choose the information of your choice
- Press the crown to validate your choice
You can also add a new version of dials to your Apple Watch To do this, simply keep your finger pressed on the screen and then scan to the left until you see the small logo +.
Then simply turn the Digital Crown to scroll through the various pre-recorded dials and then modify them to suit your own needs. Once the operation is complete the watch face will appear in the section my watch faces on your iPhone
- Open the Apple Watch application on your iPhone
- Click on the tab my watch and then scroll down to the section my watch faces
- You can then change the display order of your watch faces
- To delete a watch face, simply drag it up and click on the delete button
Transfer your watch faces to another Apple Watch
Is your connected watch running WatchOS 7? Good news, you can now create custom watch faces and send them to your friends’ watches in a few clicks. It’s very easy to do, here’s how it works.
- Bring up on your Apple Watch the watch face you want to share
- Then keep your finger pressed on the screen until you see the edit and share button
- Click on the share icon (square with an arrow pointing up)
- Press the add contact button
- Click on the name of the person you want to send the watch face to
- If it doesn’t appear in the list you will have to click on the dictate (microphone) button and pronounce aloud his name
- Then select in the list one of the proposed SMS templates
- You can also dictate a personal message
- Scroll down the window with the Digital Crown
- Press the send button
Be careful, you can only send a dial to one user at a time. Your correspondent will then only have to click on the link contained in the message. The new watch face will be automatically displayed in the Apple Watch application on the iPhone.
For those who have some difficulties with watchOS, it is possible to transfer watch faces from your smartphone. It’s just as fast and much more comfortable.
- Launch the Watch application on your iPhone
- Click on the my watch tab and then select the watch face you want to share
- Press the share button at the top right of the window
- Select from the list the type of message you want to send (SMS, email, iMessage, WhatsApp)
- Choose in your phonebook the name of your correspondent
- Write a short text and press the send button
Note that if the dial uses complications from applications that your correspondent does not have, the system will propose to download them from the App Store. If you don’t want to install them, just click on continue without this application. The Apple Watch will take care of modifying the watch face