Since televisions have an internet connection, we can surf the web, play online games or watch streaming programs directly from our sofa. But that’s not all. You can even stream videos hosted on Google Drive to your TV. We explain in detail how to access your Google Drive account from your Smart TV.
How to install Google Drive on your TV
Smart TVs also called connected TVs have become real giant smartphones. Thanks to their internet connection (Ethernet port or Wi-Fi connection) and their compatibility with the Play Store they offer many services: applications, video, VOD, games, web browser, streaming.
Surfing the web or watching movies on Netflix is good but watching videos, movies hosted in the cloud directly on your TV would be even better. The problem is that the Google Drive application available on the Play Store is not compatible with Android TV (the most popular OS for Smart TVs).
To get around this prohibition, some clever people have tried unsuccessfully to download the APK (Android Package Kit) of the Google Drive application from the computer and install it on their TV. Unfortunately, this solution does not allow you to connect to your Google account from your TV.
File manager for Android TV
As you probably know, most of the file managers for Android TV allow you to consult or manage your data stored in the cloud. Why not use these applications to access Google Drive content from a connected TV. We explain how it works.
- Press the Home button on your Smart TV’s remote control
- Select the Apps section (beware that menus may vary depending on the TV model)
- Click on Play Store
- Once the app store is open, press the magnifying glass-shaped search icon
- Use the on-screen keyboard and type in the name of the following application: Solid Explorer File Manager
- Choose the application from the list of results
- Click Install to proceed with its download
- Then open the file manager you just installed on your connected TV
- Click the Menu button placed in the upper left corner of the screen
- Tap on the Storage Manager section
- Select the Google Drive option
- Give your Cloud account a name (optional)
- Click on next to go to the next step
- Select the Connect to Google Drive option
- you to Google Drive
- By default the file manager will propose you to connect to the Google account configured on your TV
- If your video files are on another cloud account, simply click on the new account link
- Enter your Google credentials
- Then allow the Solid Explorer File Manager application to connect to your Google account
- Click on the big Connect button to connect to the online data storage service
- Press the File Manager Menu button
- Choose your online storage name from the list
You can now access all the files hosted on Google Drive. This interface will allow you to edit, delete or open your files including photos and videos from a connected TV or Chromecast. You can also use Solid Explorer File Manager to open your other cloud accounts (Dropbox, iCloud or OneDrive).
Note that the application has a security mode to protect access to your Google Drive account with a password. This feature will prevent your children from sticking their noses into your files when they have the TV remote in hand.
Please note that the process described above is only for TV models running Android TV (Sony, TCL, Thomson, Philips, Hisense, Haier, Panasonic etc…) or Chromecast type streamer devices (HDMI or USB connection).
For Samsung screens using the Tizen OS, you will have to turn to the application store dedicated to these devices, namely Tizen Store, and download a file manager that supports Cloud storage.