The success of Xiaomi smartphones is partly due to their very good quality/equipment ratio and their very affordable price. In return for this attractive price, the Chinese manufacturer integrates advertising banners on the various windows of the interface of its devices. If this bothers you, you should know that it is possible to deactivate these unwanted ads.
Deactivate the MIUI Ads system on my Xiaomi phone
The Xiaomi brand is recognized worldwide for the excellent quality/price ratio of its products. It’s no coincidence that the Chinese manufacturer is the third largest smartphone manufacturer in the world.
Xiaomi phones have a default MIUI overlay based on the Android mobile operating system. The latter improves the user experience and offers some additional customization features.
The MIUI overlay also integrates an advertising feature called MSA (MIUI System Ads) which will display advertisements in the phone menus and in the pre-installed applications. Fortunately, it is possible to disable the display of these ads to make browsing in the various windows more pleasant. We are now going to explain the procedure to follow to eliminate the presence of advertisements within the interface of your phone.
- Open the settings of your Xiaomi or Redmi phone (Note)
- Click on the section Passwords & security
- Then scroll down the window
- Click on the section Authorization and revocation
- Search in the list for the application MSA
- Click on the switch to deactivate the advertising system
- A 10 second countdown will appear on the screen of your device
- Wait and then click on the Revoke button
- Then restart your smartphone
Warning, sometimes an error message is displayed during the deactivation procedure of the MSA application. Don’t worry, just repeat the process several times until the system revokes the authorization.
Normally, if everything went well, you should see less (or no more) advertising in the system interface of your Xiaomi or Redmi Note device. Problem is, this method will have no effect on native applications installed by default by Xiaomi like Mi File Manager, Mi Music or Mi Browser. However, there is a trick to solve this problem as we will see in the rest of this article.
Disable the personalized ads recommendation system
Xiaomi collects some of your data such as your usage habits to offer you targeted ads. If you wish, you may opt out of this data collection.
- Go back to the settings of your phone or tablet
- Click on Passwords & Security
- Choose the Privacy section
- Look for the section called User Experience Program
- You should see the menu Ad Services
- All that’s left now is to deactivate the option Recommendation of personalized ads
This operation will result in the end of targeted advertising on your device. Xiaomi will no longer use your personal data for advertising purposes. This is a real plus in terms of privacy.
Remove advertising in Xiaomi applications
If you are used to using Xiaomi applications installed by default on your smartphone, you will quickly realize that advertisements continue to appear on your phone screen. You will then have no choice but to disable the advertising system in each application.
- Open the Mi File Manager app
- Press the Menu button located in the upper left corner
- Select the Settings option
- Click on About
- Disable the recommendations
Be careful not to touch any other options present on this window. Indeed, by deactivating the consent system you will prevent the file manager from having access to your storage space. It will be impossible to delete, copy, move, rename or modify any file on your Android smartphone.
Disable ads in Mi Browser
Most Android smartphone owners use Google Chrome browser. However, if you are one of those people who prefer Mi Browser to browse the internet, you should know that it is possible to disable ads in the application interface.
- Launch Mi Browser
- Click on the Menu button (3 superimposed lines) in the bottom right corner of the window
- Select the Settings option
- Click on the Privacy and Security section
- Disable personalized services
This modification will not affect the advertisements present on the websites It only concerns the ones present in the interface of the Xiaomi web browser. It is not an ad blocker.
Disable ads on the download application
The application that manages downloads from a Xiaomi device also has an ad system. Here’s how to disable it.
- Open the downloads application
- Press the menu (three dots) and select Settings
- Disable the option Show me recommended content
You will see an alert asking you to confirm your choice. Just click the OK button to disable recommended sources. And that’s it.
Remove ads in Xiaomi MIUI Themes application
The Themes application offers different graphical elements (wallpapers, icons) to customize the interface of your Xiaomi mobile and Redmi Note. It also displays intrusive ads from time to time.
- Open Themes
- Tap the My Page menu to access your profile
- Select the Settings section
- Disable the Recommendations option
Remove ads in Mi Music and Mi Video
Mi Music is the audio player installed by default on the Chinese manufacturer’s mobile devices including the Redmi Note. Mi Video allows you to play any type of stream without having to worry about codecs. Like all the applications installed natively by Xiaomi, they integrate adverts.
- Open the Mi Music application
- Go to Settings and then to Advanced Settings
- Disable the Show ads and Show online recommendations at startup
- Also disable Receive personalized recommendations
Be careful on MIUI 13, disabling its various options will lead to the revocation of the terms and conditions. You won’t be able to use the Mi Video player anymore.
Remove unwanted notifications
Don’t forget to disable unwanted notifications from the different tools provided by Xiaomi. These tend to overwhelm the user with an unconscionable number of more or less useful alerts.
- Go to the settings
- Then open the Notifications and Control Center
- Select Application Notifications
- Uncheck the alerts for the applications of your choice
From now on, you will be able to fully enjoy your Xiaomi mobile without all these unwanted ads and commercials. These few steps are available on all Xiaomi smartphones but also on Redmi Note and will allow you to enjoy a smoother and more responsive interface